Sidor

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Book Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver


My Rating

Genre: Young adult; Dystopian

Plot: Growing up in a world where love is a curable disease, Lena has only known that 1) she never wants to get the disease and 2) the disease kills people. She will be safe as soon as she is old enough and has the procedure that will alter her way of thinking, and prevent her from catching this deadly sickness. However, she soon learns that the things she's been raised to believe aren't quite what they seem, and that she can't entirely trust those around her-- those who have kept her "safe" for her entire life.

Pros: 
  • The way love was described as a disease was well thought-out and actually made it sound like a real sickness that should be prevented; gives a whole new meaning to the term "lovesick"
  • Lena's a runner; I don't know why (because I'm not a runner myself), but I like characters who run
  • It focused on an issue that could have a huge impact on the world that isn't war/hunger/AIDs; it was nice to have a different perspective
  • Lena's family; I love families
  • Teenage rebellion was totally believable in this book and that's nice because it's normally so overdone
  • Little bits and pieces of actual history were used to write their laws and guidelines and that huge because our history is what makes and shapes us
  • It was interesting. Like the plot, the concept, and the characters all held my attention.
Cons:
  • On page 171 in the hardcover version of the book, it says something like "I was more then a decade away" instead of "more than" and it was seriously like a brick wall was built and I couldn't turn the page for like a half hour and I'm not even joking
  • It sort of dragged in the beginning
  • The ending hurt me [no spoilers here]
  • It freaks me out to think that towns and districts could someday become quarantined like that
Favorite Quotes:
  • “I’ve always hated being looked at.” 
  • "The one good thing about being kind of shy is that nobody bugs you when you want to be left alone."
  • “It’s so strange how life works: You want something and you wait and wait and feel like it’s taking forever to come. Then it happens and it’s over and all you want to do is curl back up in that moment before things changed.” 
  • “Pretend to be calm and happy when really I’m freaking out. It’s one of the skills you perfect as you get older.” 
My Thoughts: This was a good book. The beginning kind of dragged, just barely, but enough for me to second-guess my decision to read it. The ending was a little bit shocking, but it is what it is. I'm interested to see where the next book takes Lena, and I hope that she finds the answers to the questions she has: both new and lingering.Overall, it was pretty good.

Links:
Goodreads
Amazon
B&N
Book Depository
Lauren Oliver



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Lovingly designed by Tasnim