Sidor

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Book Review: Ask the Passengers by AS King

My Rating: ★★★☆☆

Genre: Young Adult Literature, Contemporary Literature

Plot: With no one else to turn to, Astrid Jones sends her secrets and her love to the passengers in airplanes she sees overhead. As her secret relationship progresses, secrets come out and rumors in her small town fly. All the while, Astrid continues to send her love, not realizing that her love is actually reaching the passengers and helping them in the best ways.

Pros:
  • Switching between Astrid sending her love and the passenger who receives it is really cute
  • Gay main characters.
  • Takes place in a small town. Nae loves small towns.
  • Frank.
  • I like that she's super into philosophy.
  • The bird houses with her dad is a really cute bonding thing.
  • Dee calls her by her last name.
Cons:
  • Astrid's sister is a twat.
  • Basically everyone in Astrid's small town is a twat.
  • The thing at the sorority party.
Favorite Quotes: 
  •  “I am equal to a baby and to a hundred year old lady. I am equal to an airline pilot and a car mechanic. I am equal to you. You are equal to me. It's that universal. Except that it's not.” 
  • “How can we say nobody's perfect if there is no perfect to compare to? Perfection implies that there really is a right and wrong way to be. And what type of perfection is the best type? Moral perfection? Aesthetic? Physiological? Mental?” 
  • “I don’t have enough gross words in my gross vocabulary to describe how gross that gross thought is. Gross.” 
  • “I’m not questioning my sexuality as much as I’m questioning the strict definitions and boxes of all sexualities and why we care so much about other people’s intimate business.” 
My Thoughts: It was good. I had so many people tell me this book would change my life, and it really didn't. But that doesn't mean it wasn't still a great book. I feel like every time I read a different YA book, there's something that sets it apart from the rest, and for this book it would be Astrid sending her love to the airplanes. I just really love that.

Links:
Goodreads
Amazon
B&N
Book Depository
AS King

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Lovingly designed by Tasnim