Sidor

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Book Review: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz [SPOILERS AT THE END]



My Rating: ★★★★☆

Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary Literature

Plot: Aristotle, an angry teenage boy who's kind of an outcast, meets Dante, a smart boy who hates shoes and looks at the universe with different eyes. As the boys spend more and more time together of the summer and then suddenly spend time apart, Ari and Dante learn that their friendship is bigger than they had originally imagined, and that together, they can start to discover the secrets of the universe-- and themselves.

Pros:

  • This book was adorable. Like seriously so many feels.
  • It's kind of nice to read YA from a boy's point of view instead of a girl's.
  • Ari and Dante were so different, and that's what made them such great friends.
  • As time went on, their characters grew in such a great way.
  • So many great quotes!


Cons:

  • I wish that Ari and Dante could have had more contact when they were apart. But I get that.


Favorite Quotes: 

  • “Words were different when they lived inside of you.” 
  • “I bet you could sometimes find all the mysteries of the universe in someone's hand.” 
  • “I had a rule that it was better to be bored by yourself than to be bored with someone else. I pretty much lived by that rule. Maybe that's why I didn't have any friends.” 
  • “Words could be like food - they felt like something in your mouth. They tasted like something.” 


My Thoughts: [SPOILERS] So I already said that this book was adorable, but I'll say it again-- this book was adorable. I really loved Ari and Dante's characters, and the whole time [spoilers] I was rooting for them to get together, and I was so glad that it happened. I really like the cultural differences in the book, and the cute little quirks that each character had. Seriously, such a great book. If you haven't read it, READ IT NOW.

Links:
Goodreads
Amazon
B&N
Book Depository
Benjamin Alire Saenz

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Lovingly designed by Tasnim