Sidor

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Book Review: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn



My Rating: ★★★★☆

Genre: Adult Fiction, Thriller, Mystery

Plot: Libby day was seven years old when she stood before a court and said that her family was murdered by her brother Ben. Now in her thirties, Libby is contacted by a group of conspiracy theorists who believe that her brother is innocent. Libby begins questioning her memory and, with the help of the socially-awkward Lyle, starts to research and retrace the steps of everyone involved that night.

Pros:
  • The plot twist at the end.
  • Libby is tiny-short. Go short people!
  • I liked that it switched between past and present.
  • Gillian Flynn's storytelling abilities are phenomenal. 
  • Libby's snark is seriously the best.
Cons:
  • It took a long time for the story to get going.
  • I wasn't sure about Diondra and Trey.
  • I really want to know what happens to Ben in the end.
Favorite Quotes: 
  • “The truly frightening flaw in humanity is our capacity for cruelty - we all have it.”
  • “It was surprising that you could spend hours in the middle of the night pretending things were okay, and know in thirty seconds of daylight that simply wasn't so”
  • “I am not angry or sad or happy to see you. I could not give a shit. You don't even ripple.” 
  • “I don’t know anyone’s name. If one of those women died, I couldn’t even say, 'Poor old Mrs. Zalinsky died.' I’d have to say, 'That mean old bitch across the street bit it.'
My Thoughts: It took me a really long time to read this book. The plot is slow until the last 1/4 of the book story, which is really hard to get through when you've got a million other books to read. But the twist at the end really made it worth waiting. I love the way Gillian writes. Like Gone Girl, this book kept me guessing until the very last page.

Links:
Goodreads
Amazon
B&N
Book Depository
Gillian Flynn

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Lovingly designed by Tasnim